Reverse Publishing in FrontPage and Expression
Support > "Reverse" Publishing in FrontPage
We get this question a lot! Someone has built a great site, put it on the web, but the accidentally deleted the local copy of their site (hard drive crashed, over zealous removal of files to clean up your hard drive, etc.).
What you end up needing is a local copy (on your hard drive) of the site that is live up on the server.
Well the same "publish" technology FrontPage users have been using to get their sites up on the web can reverse the process to get a copy of their web published to their hard drive. Here's how...
- Create a new folder on your PC to house your new local copy.
- Open FrontPage and go to FILE > OPEN WEB.
- Enter your URL (http://yourdomain.com) and hit OK.
- You'll be asked for a Username (ID) and Password to access the server.
- Once you have correctly entered your username and password your site will be open live on the server.
- Now go to FILE > PUBLISH WEB.
- Click on the BROWSE button and find the folder you created in step 1.
- You'll be asked if you want to create a web at that location. You should click YES.
- You may see a message that some of your files will not function correctly on your local PC. This is OK so click OK.
- Once the publishing process is complete. Close the web.
You can now open the local copy of your site and work on it from your hard drive. Then simply publish your changes back up to your server.